You Can Count On
As Seen In:
Five Star Reviews
Damages Recovered For Clients
Cases We Handle:
Not Sure If You Have A Case?
We will evaluate your case for free and let you know if it is worth pursuing.
B.A, M.Ed, Ed.D, J.D.
Dr. James “Jim” Sears, a seasoned educator and advocate for individuals with disabilities and special needs, boasts a rich career history. Beginning as a special education teacher and public school principal, he went on to earn his masters and doctoral degrees in special education from the University of Florida. He has subsequently served as a professor at the University of Alabama, and as an adjunct professor at Spring Hill College and the University of South Alabama. After graduating from the University of Alabama School of Law, he has dedicated his practice to Special Education Law and Criminal Defense Law, representing children with disabilities and defendants with intellectual disabilities and/or mental illness. He has 35 years of experience practicing law after being licensed in 1988, and has represented more than 1,000 clients during his career.
- University of Alabama, J.D, 1988
- University of South Florida, B.A, 1968
- University of Florida, M.Ed, 1971
- University of Florida, Ed.D, 1975
- 1988- Northern, Middle, and Southern Division of Federal District Courts of Alabama;
- 1988- Southern Division of Federal District Court of Mississippi;
- 1988- Eastern Division of Federal District Court of Louisiana;
- 1988- United States Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit.
- Professional of the Year – ARC of Alabama, 1994
- Liberty Bell Award – Mobile County Bar Association, 2003
- Professional of the Year – ARC of Alabama
- Liberty Bell Award – Mobile County Bar Association
- Alabama Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Alabama Criminal Defense Lawyer’s Association
- National Criminal Defense Lawyer’s Association
- Mobile County Bar Association
- Baldwin County Bar Association
- American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- Council on Exceptional Children
B.A, M.S, J.D.
Shane Sears is an experienced attorney with a broad range of practice areas including special education, personal injury, criminal defense, corporate defense, and civil/criminal litigation. He is an active volunteer in his community, particularly in organizations that support individuals with disabilities, and serves as a community board member for TREAC, an organization that improves veterans’ health and quality of life through research and education. He has 23 years of experience practicing law, and has represented more than 400 clients. He is one of Alabama’s highest rated attorneys based on his client reviews, and is consistently recognized as one of Birmingham’s best lawyers by publications such as the Birmingham Business Journal and Birmingham Metro Magazine. He has also been ranked as one of America’s ‘Top 100 Trial Lawyers’ by the National Trial Lawyers Association.
- University of Alabama, J.D, 1999
- University of Alabama, M.S, 1996
- University of Alabama, B.A, 1993
- 1999- Northern, Middle, and Southern Division of Federal District Courts of Alabama;
- 1999- United States Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit.
- ‘Top Lawyers’ B-Metro Magazine, 2018
- ‘Top Lawyer 2017’ B-Metro Magazine, 2017
- ‘Top Lawyers 2016’ B-Metro Magazine, 2016
- ‘Top Lawyer’ Birmingham Business Journal, 2016
- ’10 Best for Client Satisfaction’ American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys, 2015
- ‘Top 100 Trial Lawyers’ National Trial Lawyers Association, 2014
- ‘Top Ten Prolific Trial Attorneys for Civil Jury Trials’ Alabama Jury Verdict Reporter, 2004
- Selected as “Mid-South Super Lawyer” by Super Lawyer from 2017-2022
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar
- Alabama Defense Lawyer’s Association
- Defense Research Institute
- National Trial Lawyers Association
- Department of Veterans Affairs-TREAC